An Introduction to the Degree of Mark Master Mason
The Mark Degree is the third largest and one of the most popular degrees in Freemasonry containing some 1500 Mark Lodges in the English Constitution with Essex being one of the largest Provinces. Details of Essex Lodges are shown on this site and included in the Essex Masonic Year Book which is also on the Members Only section on this site.
The Order is governed from Mark Masons' Hall, 86 St James's Street, London SW1A 1PL and ruled by the Grand Master, HRH Prince Michael of Kent.
The Degree is known as "the friendly degree" and all Master Masons are eligible and encouraged to join.The Degree is slightly less formal than The Craft and there is no doubt that among Mark Master Masons you will ever find friends.
Similarly to Craft Freemasonry, the Mark Degree conveys moral and ethical lessons using a ritualized allegory based around the building of King Solomon's Temple prior to the death of it's principle architect, Hiram Abif.
Initiation into the Mark Degree is termed as “Advancement” and, in a chronological sense, the ceremony follows that of the Fellow Craft Degree.
As it is worked today the Mark ritual actually covers two Degrees – the candidate first being "acknowledged" as a Mark Man and then being “Advanced” as a Mark Master Mason.
The Mark Degree is only one of two Masonic Orders to deal with actual stonemasons working and the Ceremony of Advancement follows the fate of an ambitious Fellow Craft seeking promotion in his trade by demonstrating his skill and ability.
Masonic tradition informs us that, at the building of King Solomon’s Temple, every Mason was provided with a mark peculiar to himself, which he placed upon his work in order to distinguish it from that of his fellows.
By the aid of these marks the Overseers (or Mark Masters) were able to trace any defective work to the workman concerned.
In the early part of the ceremony the candidate’s talents go unrecognised and his hopes are dashed but eventually he triumphs over adversity and is justly rewarded for his work.
The concept of Masons as “living stones” being built into a spiritual house, in parallel with the construction of the temple, is a powerful theme in The Degree.
It is a wonderful ceremony containing elements of drama and humour, and, above all, strong moral lessons.
If you are a Master Mason and interested in joining then please make contact with a local Mark Lodge Secretary (a list of Lodges and venues is on the next tab) or download the form and contact the Provincial Secretary via the contact form below, who will be pleased to arrange for that contact to be made.
An Introduction to the Royal Ark Mariner Degree
The Ancient and Honourable Fraternity of Royal Ark Mariners is governed by The Grand Master, HRH Prince Michael of Kent and the Grand Master's Royal Ark Council from Mark Mason's Hall, 86 St James Street, London SW1A 1PL
If you are a Mark Master Mason and interested in joining RAM, then please make contact with a local Lodge Secretary or download the form and contact the Provincial Executive via the email button above and right of the banner who will be pleased to arrange for that contact to be made.
- Regalia Shop
- Christmas Bonus Ball
- Mark Awareness Evenings
- Mark Master Mason's Mess
- "Teaser" Campaign >
- PGM visits Battlesbridge Lodges
- Northern Star Lodge Consecration, Rpt
- Essex Armed Forces Lodge Consecration, Rpt
- Fillebrook RAM Re Opened
- Wayfarers Dedicate Lodge Banner
- New Provincial Appointments
- Provincial News & Events
- 2019 PGL Report
- MBF Donation to Havens Hospice, updated
- New Advancees pack
- Talks and papers for Mark & RAM meetings >
- Ritual, Procedure & Protocol Updates
- Mark Auction a Success!
- Essex Fine Dining Lodge
- Report on Provincial Officers Mess
- 2017 Provincial Officers Mess
- Northern Cluster Meeting
- RAM Grand Rank 2017
- Investiture of New APGMs
- Report on 1044, 14th September
- Provincial Grand Lodge 2017
- PGM Visits Wyven Mark
- PGM visits Ambresbury Lodge
- PGM Visits Tuscan Pillar
- Beaconsfield RAM, Centenary Meeting
- Mark Grand Ranks, 2019
- Essexmark 2019 Golf Day
- Northern Cluster Meeting, Report
- Report on EEC & EIMM 19th March
- Essex Mark at Sussex MBF
- Combined Stewards Meeting
- Essex Mark visits Bedfordshire PGL
- Provincial RAM GR 2019
- PGM Visits Crowstone Lodge, No 945
- Essex Mark Visits Spain
- Northern Cluster Meeting Report
- The PGM visits Ambresbury Lodge
- PGL 2018 Report
- DPGM visits Saxon Shore, No. 1319 >
- VWBro A Latham visits Chelmer Mark & RAM
- Provincial vist to St Katherine's Lodge
- New Year Bonus Ball Winners
- PGM Visits Mayflower Lodge
- W.Bro. Mark Reeve visits Brentwood Lodge
- PGM Visits Royal Oak Tree, No.1244
- Essex Mark Charity Golf Day Report
- Provincial Almoners Page
- Essex Enthroned Commanders and Essex Installed Mark Masters Lodges, No.1044
- MBF Donates to Indonesia
- Crowstone Chinese Night Report
- March 2018 EEC and EIMM, No.1044
- PGM visits Naze Tower Mark
- Essex Mark visits Spain
- Provincial Grand Lodge 2016
- Essex Mark visits Spain
- Hope for Tomorrow DOES come to Essex
- Mark Grand Lodge
- Grand Mark Benevolent Fund
- Essex Provincial Craft Site
- District of Essex Royal and Select Masters (Cryptic Degrees)
- Essex Knights Templar
- South Essex Rose Croix
- District of Essex Allied Degrees
- Red Cross of Constantine, Essex
- Essex Secret Monitor
- Prince Edward Duke of Kent Care Home; Stisted
- Essex Mason Regalia Sales
- Provincial Grand Lodge
- Provincial Officers Mess >
- EIMM & EEC Lodges
- Counselling Careline Available
- Lodge Forms
- Ritual Support and Demonstration Team
- Essex Mark Benevolent & Welfare Funds
- Stilus et Denarius Lodge
- Links >
- Members Area